Saturday, 30 June 2012

In Gunnersbury Park

Gunnersbury Park, less than two and half miles (4km) from our house on Croft Gardens, was a favourite place to pop out for some fresh air. To this day the park offers a variety of recreational facilities including boating pond, a putting course, a local musuem, some ruins (a 19th C. folly) - but for me, most importantly, the swings. And not only swings, slides and roundabouts - but climbing frames. My favourite one, left, was built to resemble a tanker truck. You could clamber all over it or pretend to drive it. Here I am demonstrating use of hand-signals - which in the autumn of 1962 were still in common use.

Right: the relevant page from the Highway Code that I would study diligently as a child. At this time, my father drove a Morris Minor 1000, which had semaphore trafficator (lovely archaic term!) masts which would pop out from between the side windows. This system was in use until the early 1960s, and hand-signals were useful in case the trafficator broke.

Left: back to the park and another climbing frame to conquer. Photos by my father, Bohdan Dembinski, who was 39 years old when he took them.

This is around the time of my fifth birthday; by now, I'd have been at primary school for a few weeks. There was a similar climbing frame in Oaklands Road Primary School infants' playground, though not as high and with more densely spaced tubes.

1 comment:

wilczek said...

Looks like a tanker of circular section. I recall many tankers of that era having oval section tanks which my child's perpective equated with 'Murray Fruits' (if you recall, were a boiled sweet).

Curious how those Murray Fruit-shaped tankers disappeared towards the end of the 60s.