Saturday 11 June 2011

Air display, late summer, 1966

I was scanning my father's b&w negatives of our family trip to Poland in July/August 1966, when, at the end of the final roll of film, I came across some photos taken at an air display. I'm not sure whether this is Farnborough (1966 was a Farnborough year) or whether it was the Battle of Britain Day at RAF Benson. I suspect the latter, as the aircraft in the pictures were not listed as taking part at Farnborough that year. Anyone have any more info?

Above: I'm standing on the wing of a Beagle Bassett (in front of the tail fin of the USAF C-130 Hercules), more interested in the Bassett's cockpit than the in Avro Vulcan bomber (bomb bay doors open) that's just flown over at low altitude. Incidentally, the Hercules is still a familiar shape in our skies half a century on!

Above: Four US Navy McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantoms.

Four USAFE North American F-100 Super Sabres

Above: An English Electric Canberra T4, WE195. This aircraft later went on to serve in the Indian Air Force. All photos by Bohdan Dembinski, taken with a Praktica camera (50mm f2.8 Tessar lens).

No comments: